Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Breathing In


I ripped out a kitchen in an old area of town today. Behind the cabinets the walls were rotted and full of filthy black mold. When I went to detatch the sink from the plumbing the most putrid smell came from the pipes I've smelled in a long time, and I'm a guy who lives on my own. I should have done that last, but i decided to do it first, and consequently had to rip out the rest of the kitchen while enduring this awful emanation. When I was done, I walked upstairs into the fresh air, and took a deep breath. It was a deep, meaningful breath. It felt good, I loved the air and the way it didn't meet me with anything but its pure self.

I've done alot of thinking these last few weeks. Alot of crying, praying, singing and crying. Thoughts like the one I had today don't mask pain for me or anybody. There is some comfort, however in the true realizations that the spirit touches us with when we most need them. I was reminded today that after the last breath that a lover of Jesus takes on earth comes the first breath of the purest kind...the breath of the most meaningful kind. The breath where we meet the living God face to face and his presence reaches deep into our being, into the very capillaries which translate breath into blood and sustain us...We breath God, He becomes our breath...We live.

Miss you Bro.

9 comments:

Janelle said...

i had never thought of it that way Jon. and it's beautiful.
you've been in my thoughts as i know this must be the most horrible time for you, Nate was your family. you've been in my prayers - we've covered you all. i listened to Nate's service last nite...the music was amazing - i was brought into worship even though i wasn't there. thank you for blessing me.
you are loved Jon - and your words mean so much to me today. i hope you can find comfort in them too!

KDees said...

What beautiful words Jon. You brought tears to my eyes.

Bonnie said...

Thinking about you and praying for you buddy. Thanks for this post...it was beautifully written and it moved me to tears. Love ya.

Erica said...

Jon... I have prayed often for you in these last couple weeks. This post was absolutely beautiful. Blessings friend.

gord and janice said...

I feel like I've had a lot of those God breaths lately. I think Gord and I are both learning how to breathe the breath of God. Thanks for the wisdom.

Trev and Rebekah said...

Thanks for your thoughts...they really make me think. What an eye opener this has been for us all. We've been thinking about you and your loss of a friend who was also like a brother to you.

Kelsie-Lynn said...

Thanks for the post Jon. It is beautiful. I have been thinking and praying for you over the last few weeks. Take care.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this post Jon. It is both profound and comforting – a moving reminder of what it is that we really believe about death and what follows. Know that there are many, many people who are thinking not only of the family but you and the many friends that continue to grieve.

Amy Smith said...

Thinking of you, friend.