Tuesday, August 21, 2007

A God Moment

I had the chance to stand up for my buddy Stephen at his wedding in Rosemary, AB a couple weekends ago. I wasn't looking forward to the drive out, a solo mission; but knew at the same time that it would be good for me. It was. I'm going to keep this short. While I was driving, I remember coming up out of a little valley and cresting on a hill. I can't describe everything that was going on; I suspect to fully appreciate the plains you have to grow up farming them or something. Still, I lived in Saskatchewan for a few years, and every time I drive the prairies a nostalgic love courses through me. Driving from Calgary to Saskatchewan meant meeting friends; driving the other way meant going home...Either way, the drive is good. Anyways, I was coming up out of this valley, and there was a flock of birds flying about 100 meters in front of my car in the sky. The sky itself was a great blue, touched with the type of clouds that look like God didn't have a ton of paint left on the brush...my favorite. There were wheat fields on either side as far as I could see and not another car in sight. I was coming towards a train bridge which a train was crossing over...I couldn't see the end of the train in either direction. I haven't been overwhelmed by a moment like that in so long I forgot what it felt like. You know those quintessential moments where it feels like you are the only one on earth, and God is just letting you see Him for who He really is? Creator, Lover, our Glorious...Majesty. I hope that's what heaven is like.

4 comments:

Bonnie said...

What a beautiful moment Jono. Thanks for sharing it with us. Thinking of you today. Miss ya.

Cyndy said...

Sounds beautiful. God is an impecable designer, the ultimate artist. I know just what you mean. God speaks to me most through this kind of beauty and wonder.

Anonymous said...

jonny yo...love your blog man..it's been a long time since I've been on it and I love it...witty...insightful...and how did you get that church annoucement board picture? Did you join a committee? :) jk...jkjk...jk fbbff...
bets

Cordella said...

reminds me that I am walking in the Kingdom of God on earth... absolutely beautiful image.