Friday, March 30, 2007

I like the government (I guess)

Had about an hour to think in traffic on my way home today. Probably due to the fact that i'm in the process of starting a business, and the fact that taxes are due at the end of the month, I found myslef thinking about just that. Taxes. Well, govenment, in a broader sense. Now, if you are anything like me, you'll stop reading right now. To me, the government is like a really bad employee who also happens to be your younger brother. You know its there, working in some capacity, you have to pay it more than you want to and you can't fire it. But, as I sat there in my little car, I started thinking about how amazing 'government'actually is. You see, the whole notion of a governing body over a group of people requires a fair amount of honour and trust on both sides. We go to work , make our money, pay the government part of that wage, then expect them to do things for us like build roads, bridges, subsidize health care, and so on. Its amazing to me to think that this idea wasn't spawned by any one person, nor is it run by any one person, but by everyone's natural inclination towards the feeling that there needs to be some sort of order and system to our being. Really, nothing is stopping total anarchy except the fact that we really do like the way things are going down. Laws might stop us, but they are made by the government, and lose their potency as a result (to the anarchist)...All this to say, I decided that we need the government, and i'll stop complaining about paying taxes. But I still won't pay them happily.

3 comments:

Melissa Wiebe said...

Amazing thoughts Jon. Nice to find you after 3 years of searching. I just hung out with Matt Dyck last night, and he told me I might find your blog. Very cool to hear you rock on the guitar. Yeah buddy boy!

kathleen said...

If my teacher could have made it all sound like that i'm pretty sure i wouldn't have failed social 30.
And what's this about starting your own business? Man, do I even know you anymore?
jk jk jk.
love yah,
alex.

Amy Smith said...

Government shmovernment... I honestly couldn't be bothered.... but probably should be, if you know what I mean.

Congrats on the business. I'm moving to Albert in a few days. Do you need a new employee??? Perhaps we could hang out sometime?