Monday, April 2, 2007

I love the Flames (when they win)


I'm sure it's been thought a million times. "If only more people were healed, more 'red seas' were parted, and more dead people came alive because of miracles, believing in God would be so much easier." I know i've thought it quite a bit. Last night at church the message was about the 'bandwagoner's faith'. How, often when things are going good (i.e we are really 'experiencing' the presence of God in our lives), we unashamedly jump on the Jesus bandwagon and look ahead to a decisive victory. When hard times come, or our experience becomes less felt and more decided, we can fall off the bandwagon because we become unsure of it all. Funny that my pastor used Calgary Flames fans as a parallel - lovin' it when the wins are coming in, pessimistic as anything after one loss...
Anyways, this led me into a few conversations today, one of them about signs and miracles. See, i'm not sure I would have more faith if I saw miracles everyday. The disciples saw them, and they busted as soon as they realized Jesus might not be restoring Israel in a blaze of catapults and arrows (or whatever they used in those days). The people of Jerusalem saw them (Luke 19:37), but same result. And what about me...I've seen them before, and they have increased my faith for a time, but I fail to keep asking or believing that they can happen.
I don't really know where I'm going with this, but I think about some of the seasoned vets of the faith I know...These men and women have been through the tough times and the times when believing is easy. Faith, it seems, becomes this childlike choice to believe anyways, a learned way to rejoice in both the mundane and the supernatural. That is what this Flames fan wants.

5 comments:

Bonnie said...

Wow Jono...that's some good stuff. Definitely a reminder that we need to be on the "wagon" every single day, no matter what. I find that tough, so thanks for the encouragement to stick to the faith. Hope you're doing well these days...its been a while hey!? Stop by and say hi one of these days :)

kathleen said...

Still on the wagon after tonight?
ha ha...
just jokes.
love yah.
sis.

Melissa Wiebe said...

Hey Jon, I browse your page now. Tonight I read this post. I hadn't before now because I wasn't interested in Calgary Flames talk. How shallow is this old Jets fan? But reading it, it brought a tear to my eye as I read about miracles. I suppose because you were part of one of the greatest miracles in my life. The one that God used to bring me here, where I am now. You were there. I haven't forgotten. Love ya buddy.

Trev and Rebekah said...

I didn't know you had a blog. I'll have to let Trev know. I hear you faith and miracles. I am a miracle child yet at times I fail to remember that I wonder why God won't heal my father-in-law, and why he didn't heal my pastor. We are taking a class at seminary and have been talking about how faith is not something we muster up. It's a gift given to us from God.

Erica said...

That Andy McKee (i think that's his name...) stuff is NUTS. Tim made me watch those youtubes a while ago. Good on you for becoming a member of the blog world Jon - ya make me laugh. Alas, I am glad that this blog exists. ah, tis true laddy... aside from that though; you should email me your address so I can send ya an invite to the ole wedding-ski... escammell@gmail.com