Monday, April 23, 2007

This could be random

I think I might be narcoleptic. On my way around today, in the car, at work, I had to fight the urge to just fall asleep. Sorry to anyone who actually is narcoleptic out there, but i've heard the condition can present itself at anytime - the ol' eyes just roll back and you're done for a few minutes; maybe an hour. That was me today, except I had a little more self control. I was actually so head tired that I drove home with one eye closed so that at least half of me could get some rest.
Here's the serious bit. I got to thinking, as I woke up from a much needed, lengthy nap, about how I had planned to do so much today. Then, as I got in the shower, I thought about how much I have planned to do this week, where I will be on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, yes- even Friday (the John Mayer concert, BTW). I thought about what I have to do this month, how much planning I have to do, yes- I even thought about the things I have to do in the next year.
I got zapped.
God does that to me sometimes. Wake up, buddy, you're a moron! (except He's waay nicer than that)... 3 verses from James 4 jumped into my head like a Calgary Flame into a penalty box (we'll talk about that later):
You should know better than to say, "Today or tomorrow we will go to the city. We will do business there for a year and make a lot of money!"
What do you know about tomorrow? How can you be so sure about your life? It is nothing more than mist that appears for only a little while before it disappears.
You should say, "If the Lord lets us live, we will do these things."

It is good to plan; I think it's foolish not to. But when I become consumed with scheduling and worrying about what gets done and what doesn't; or with what I can fit into my day, I've lost the point. I've made time an idol. Like money, I just need more and I could do it all. Then I'd be happy, right? What I need is to live by the Spirit, accepting that my plans aren't always going to be what pans out; sometimes I just need a nap...

Alright, about the Flames quickly. I never lost hope. I didn't jump off the bandwagon. But, two things. Firstly, last night the fans were WEAK. Get on your feet and cheer during second overtime of the biggest game of the year. Weak. It felt like a regular season game in there. Worse, an exhibition game. Give me your tickets and I'll cheer if your not going to. The problem is the lower bowl tickets are about 400 bucks each so only oil moguls and their wives who don't want to be there can afford to go anymore. Secondly, honestly boys. The numbers game is against you when you get outshot 893 to 14. Kiprusoff is good, but he's no machine. I think next year they'll be better after Amonte, Hamrlik, Friesen, Playfair, and possibly Phaneuf are gone...Go sens go.

3 comments:

KDees said...

Quite the rampage about the Flames, Jon! But, I do agree....Kipper can't do it on his own. Very disappointing, but now we can get on with spring and summer and not worry about missing a game. Great reminder about living one day at a time and not getting consumed with planning. God has a way of reminding us of that, doesn't He? You've always been a bit of a philosopher, but you have a way of getting us to think a little deeper. Thanks!

officehourthoughts said...

Hey Man I feel your pain.... but at least it's over with now... Hey I totally suggest you read the book, The Rest of God, by Mark Buchanan, totally worth the time, it's about slowing down and rediscovering sabbath and learning to just walk a step at a time with God. Super good.
Also check out my blog and watch the video Clark the Canadian hockey Goalie... I really think Kipper would do well.

gord and janice said...

If I had to choose between watching the Flames in an away game and napping, we both know what I'd choose. (J) P.S. I know I suck.